According to Salman Rushdie, after last year’s attack in which he was seriously injured, it took him a while, but he finally started writing again. That being said, he’s making a record of what happened.
The Indian-British writer was awarded the Companion of Honor at a ceremony at Windsor Castle. As he said, the recognition for his life’s work is a great honor for him. He also met Princess Anna, whom he described as “very generous”.
According to him, after last year’s knife attack in the US state of New York, in which he was seriously injured, he started writing again. When asked when he expected to finish his next book, Rushdie replied: “Oh, I’ll let you know.”
The writer was stabbed several times by a 24-year-old attacker at a literary event in Chautauqua, New York on August 12 last year. In the attack, the writer suffered three serious wounds on his neck and 15 wounds elsewhere on his body. He is blind in one eye and can no longer use one hand. After the attack, he was treated in hospital for six weeks.
A record of what happened“I don’t read as fast as I used to, but … I’m writing a book that I think will be something fairly short about what happened,” but the writer said this past weekend at the festival in Washington.
Rushdie went into hiding for several years after the novel The Satanic Verses in 1989, the death sentence or fatwa was issued by the then Iranian religious leader, Ayatollah Khomeini. In recent years, despite threats, he moved freely. In 2012, he described the period of hiding in his autobiography entitled Joseph Antonwhich is his pseudonym, which he chose when the fatwa was issued.